• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employers lies are ruining my life

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

middlesister

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York
I left my job in November because my hours were being cut. I left on good terms believing in the future I would work there again. I even worked a weekend when they needed extra help and used them as a reference when applying for new jobs. After using them as a reference I found it strange that I didn't get a job since I was well qualified and my interviews went well. Needless to say I had to file for unemployment benefits.I received two payments and then they suddenly stopped. NYSDOL informed me my past employer is claiming I was fired for misconduct. How do I get my employment record straightened out and my good name back? I have since found a job once I removed them from my references however I want my employment record set straight!

pattytx

I can only address the UI cessation issue, but you had to have been notified by letter than the employer is now contesting your receiving benefits. In that letter, your appeal rights and the procedure should have been delineated. If you feel the employer is wrong in his reasoning, then you should appeal; hopefully, the time limit to appeal has not already passed.

And, if I may, although this kind of issue is distressing, you still have a life; it is not ruined. Hopefully, you have your health, family, friends, etc. This too shall pass and you will find another job and get on with it. Feeling sorry for yourself will not help you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

middlesister

Distressed In NY

pattytx said:
I can only address the UI cessation issue, but you had to have been notified by letter than the employer is now contesting your receiving benefits. In that letter, your appeal rights and the procedure should have been delineated. If you feel the employer is wrong in his reasoning, then you should appeal; hopefully, the time limit to appeal has not already passed.

And, if I may, although this kind of issue is distressing, you still have a life; it is not ruined. Hopefully, you have your health, family, friends, etc. This too shall pass and you will find another job and get on with it. Feeling sorry for yourself will not help you.
Good luck.
Thanks for the luck! I never received anything except a letter asking my side of what happened no mention of an appeal so I'm not sure what's going on. Either way you're right life goes on and I will however I don't feel big business should be allowed to slander and falsify someones records.

pattytx

Contact the state DOL again and confirm that your ex-employer is, in fact, appealing the original decision granting you benefits. If the employer is appealing, you should have received notification of such, and when the hearing on the appeal will be.

Beth3

FYI, whether you listed this employer as a reference or not, it's quite likely that any prospective employer contacted all your recent employers to obtain a reference. In fact anyone you didn't list would be the first ones on my call list. I don't think you should assume that this former employer wasn't contacted and that's why you were able to secure employment.

I agree something is goofy with your UC claim though. It's possible the employer has confused you with another employee. Anyway, if your benefits are denied apply for a hearing. It will then be incumbent upon the employer to prove that (a) they fired you and (b) they did so because you engaged in some form of willful misconduct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">