• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employer's obligation to facilitate stock option exercise?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arclark

Washington state
What are my former employers obligations to provide me with reasonable access to exercise my stock options? The office of my former employer is in Washington state, however, the parent company is in France, and the stock is traded on the Paris Stock Exchange. When we parted ways, I received no written instructions for exercising my options and have had little assistance from my former employer in contacting a stock broker in France to set up an account. (When I finally received documentation from the stock broker, in late July to open an account, it was all in French!) I have been trying to open an account and exercise the options since May. What was once worth ~$25K to me is now worth nothing, since the stock has plummeted this summer. Could the company be considered negligent for not providing documentation and assistance with the process? Because of this negligence do I have any chance in demanding $$ directly from the company? Any insight is appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">