• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employer's Refusal to Give Paid Breaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MightyMia

OK my mom works 7 hours a day at a daycare. The boss is telling her if she leaves to take her 15 minute break they aren't required to pay her which from my experience is not right. Now the boss is mad because my mom hasn't been leaving to take her break and has been paid for it so now they're going to force her to take a full half an hour break. Are they allowed to do any of this? They claim their lawyer says it's legal but I can't see how it is. It seems like they're trying to take advantage of her and not pay her for a break at all and now they want to take out more money from her check by foricng her to take a half hour off company property! What's your advice? This daycare is run by an accountant and there is no union. Can they legally do this?

B

buddy2bear

Non-union - breaks are not necessarily paid -- that depends on the employer. Some employers pay for your breaks and some don't. It is not against the law. It seems to me that when an employer starts nickle and diming their employees, that something is up - either they want to make more profit or they are in trouble. I think your mom should start looking around for other employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">