• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employing First Part Time Staff Member (Working from home)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Vincent2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Hello,

I would like to employ my first member of part time staff. I have searched the internet and it has a lot of information, but not quite what I need.

I work from home and am looking to employ the services of a sales/admin assistant. They would also be expected to work form home on they're own lap top. Now this is a huge question and I am sure can not be answered in one paragraph. But here goes any way. Is there any specific laws that I need to be aware of when employing a part time work from home staff member.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Best,
Vincent

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

Hello,

I would like to employ my first member of part time staff. I have searched the internet and it has a lot of information, but not quite what I need.

I work from home and am looking to employ the services of a sales/admin assistant. They would also be expected to work form home on they're own lap top. Now this is a huge question and I am sure can not be answered in one paragraph. But here goes any way. Is there any specific laws that I need to be aware of when employing a part time work from home staff member.

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Best,
Vincent
Yes, the most specific law is how to treat the "employee" for tax purposes. Odds are, based on your description the employee would be a true employee requiring you to treat them as such therefore withholding taxes, and paying employer taxes and workman's comp insurance. Do some research on "employee vs independent contractor" to make sure that you understand your obligations as an employer.

Vincent2014

Termination Clause

Hello,

Thank you for you response. It has helped a lot!

I have another question. If I employ someone what is the law about termination? If the position is not working out can I give the employee notice?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, you can.

But I would very, very, very strongly recommend that you sit down with either an employment law attorney or a good HR consultant and review the basics of employment law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">