• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment after being fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

llw1040

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I was fired from a job 2 years ago along with another co-worker for inappropriate emails regarding issues in our office that we found inappropriate. I have applied for a job and did not put on the application that I was fired from that job. Now the potential job is calling for a reference to former employeer. Can my previous employeer legally say I was fired?

anteater

Yes, they can. And why.

Better get out ahead of the issue with your prospective employer. Honesty, with your best spin, is the best approach.

phase08

Your former employer can/might say you were terminated – they may or may not say why if they choose to elaborate (esp over the phone). Many employers are careful because of possible litigation, but as long as it’s true they can say it.

You could have been honest and said “terminated, need to discuss”. What you did with the emails is called ‘misuse of company resources’. Many employers ask people to sign a form that they will not misuse computers, etc. then they are surprised when they get fired – or they say so-and-so does it all the time and gets away with it. Actually what they mean is they didn’t think they would get caught. Even a Happy Birthday email to Grandma can result in termination. Hope you learned a lesson.

I don’t know if you’re screwed; it’s worth trying to clean up, apologize, and still try to get the job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">