• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

botrs

State of Florida. Trying to understand the following "non-compete" clause. COVENANT NOT TO COMPETE: During the term of this agreement and for a period of 15 years after termination of employment for any reason or for no reason, Partner shall not compete with ? Corp. either as principal, employee or agent in a business which competes with the ? Corp in the geographic area within a 15 mile radius of the principal location of the ? Corp. The partner expressly acknowledges and agrees that violation of the provision of this section shall entitle the ? Corp. an injunctive relief and such other relief as the courts may deem appropriate.
TERM: This agreement shall commence as of the effective date above and shall continue until terminated by either party upon 10 days written notice.
Is the TERM telling me I can terminate this agreement and the non-compete will not be in force?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

botrs said:
State of Florida. Trying to understand the following "non-compete" clause. COVENANT NOT TO COMPETE: During the term of this agreement and for a period of 15 years after termination of employment for any reason or for no reason, Partner shall not compete with ? Corp. either as principal, employee or agent in a business which competes with the ? Corp in the geographic area within a 15 mile radius of the principal location of the ? Corp. The partner expressly acknowledges and agrees that violation of the provision of this section shall entitle the ? Corp. an injunctive relief and such other relief as the courts may deem appropriate.
TERM: This agreement shall commence as of the effective date above and shall continue until terminated by either party upon 10 days written notice.
Is the TERM telling me I can terminate this agreement and the non-compete will not be in force?
My response:

No. It says that the Non-Compete "lives on" for 15 years after the "termination" of the Agreement - - "During the term of this agreement and for a period of 15 years after termination . . . "

In California, such a lengthy period of time would never hold up in court; however, Florida may see it differently. I would have this "Agreement" reviewed by your own Counsel before you sign.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">