• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Agreements-Need Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

T Cruise

I am employed in Illinois for a project management consulting firm where I was required to sign an employment agreement prior to inception of which it stated I agree not to engage in employment with any business who had a contractual relationship with the consulting firm. The consulting firm is based out of the state of Ohio and any disputes with the agreement are to be resolved in accordance with the laws of Ohio. Here is my question: I have been offered a position with the client and if I accepted I would be in violation of the employment agreement. The position offered to me is a totally seperate position to what I am doing now with the consulting firm and the position would be with a company who is a subsidiary of the client. I believe I have not violated the agreement because the subsidiary was never in a contractual relationship with the project managment company. In addition, the new position would be in a locale where the project management company has no interests either. The consulting company threatened to terminate me immediately if I resigned for that reason and file for an injunction to prevent me from working for the new employer. Any help for me in this situation?? Thanks. TC

B

buddy2bear

The subsidary is in a relationship with the client, who is in a contractual relationship with your present employer. By your working for the subsidary, you will probably be indirectly "competing" or possibly affecting your present employer and/or your present employer thinks you will in some way jeopardize their relationship with their client. I suggest that you consult with a labor & employment law attorney before you go any further.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">