• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Application - is it necessary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dadof3

What is the name of your state? IL

I work in a small business. Our boss has never required anyone to complete an employment application. She has always went from the resume.

Is it necessary? Are their laws that pertain to this and if so could someone direct me to them (website?) so that I can show her that maybe we should start requiring an employment application to be completed.

It has always been my understanding that we should, but it's just been a common understanding, nothing I have in writing.

I want to make sure she is protected.

Beth3

No, there are no laws that pertain to this. It's the employer's option. However the benefits of having candidates complete employment applications are:

1. You obtain all the same information from each candidate in a consistent format;

2. The candidate signs the application at the end attesting to the fact that all the information is truthful and accurate (which you may find invaluable at a later date if the candidate/employee falsified something); and

3. The application contains a statement authorizing you to obtain reference information (not legally necessary but required by some employers before they will release anything.)

I truly have nothing to do with this company but I can recommend HROne (GNeil) as a supplier of a variety of very good standard application forms. I believe their web address is www.hrone.com.

K

kw-2003

Just a quick note about GNeil.

Their sales people are very aggressive and the amount of promotional mailings you will start to receive is ungodly.

However, they do have great forms! ;)

Beth3

I've never spoken to any of their sales people. I just order what I need on-line. So far, nobody's called to bug me about anything. They do a fair amount of mailings but that's what the trash can is for. :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
True, but when I was receiving four notices that my employment posters were out of date (one addressed to me personally, one addressed to HR Manager, one addressed to the Controller, who then put it in my mailbox, and one sent to me AT MY HOME), and those four notices came every six weeks whether I needed them or not, and my employment posters were NOT out of date (I just dared to order replacements from someone other than G. Neil) even my trash can got annoyed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">