• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmul75

What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I signed an "employment agreement" 1 year ago as a new grad RN at a hospital here in Hawaii. I agreed to work for the hospital for 2 years and receive $10,000 worth of training. If I were to end my employment earlier, then I would have to pay back the prorated amount.

My husband is stationed here and is getting deployed for the FOURTH time in 3 years. He was gone ten months last year. I just can not stay here any longer without family support. Of course, the hospital could care less about this situation. They want $5,000 from me. I did NOT receive $10,000 worth of training. In fact, it was laughable. My argument is that they breached the contract initially with the poor training. Also, I had no choice and had already begun the training when I was told I had to sign the contract or lose the job. There are no other options to be a pediatric oncology nurse in Hawaii.

I am a part of a union who are supporting me EXCEPT they are having internal legal struggles and the hospital is largely ignoring their authority until litigation is complete. So who is representing me? I have been getting some legal assistance from an attorney on base but he is not "up" on contract law to his own admission unfortunately and is unable to represent me in court. I originally gave 1 month and 1 week notice of my resignation but found the conditions intolerable to work due to this added stress upon an already stressful and demanding job. So, unfortunately I could not last it out in fear of my own competence on the job and ended my employment 3 weeks short of my notice.

I am just wondering if there is any advice out there? I apologize for my angry tone, I do understand that I signed the contract. Please if anyone could be of assistance.

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

kmul75 said:
What is the name of your state? Hawaii

I signed an "employment agreement" 1 year ago as a new grad RN at a hospital here in Hawaii. I agreed to work for the hospital for 2 years and receive $10,000 worth of training. If I were to end my employment earlier, then I would have to pay back the prorated amount.

My husband is stationed here and is getting deployed for the FOURTH time in 3 years. He was gone ten months last year. I just can not stay here any longer without family support. Of course, the hospital could care less about this situation. They want $5,000 from me. I did NOT receive $10,000 worth of training. In fact, it was laughable. My argument is that they breached the contract initially with the poor training. Also, I had no choice and had already begun the training when I was told I had to sign the contract or lose the job. There are no other options to be a pediatric oncology nurse in Hawaii.

I am a part of a union who are supporting me EXCEPT they are having internal legal struggles and the hospital is largely ignoring their authority until litigation is complete. So who is representing me? I have been getting some legal assistance from an attorney on base but he is not "up" on contract law to his own admission unfortunately and is unable to represent me in court. I originally gave 1 month and 1 week notice of my resignation but found the conditions intolerable to work due to this added stress upon an already stressful and demanding job. So, unfortunately I could not last it out in fear of my own competence on the job and ended my employment 3 weeks short of my notice.

I am just wondering if there is any advice out there? I apologize for my angry tone, I do understand that I signed the contract. Please if anyone could be of assistance.

I understand the emotional aspect of this, but you are obligated to fulfill the contract, or you can pay them off. If you are seriously unable to do your job, being anxiety, or whatever, you need to just quit, and deal with the loan.

Seek out "Mental Health", at you base hospital, I do not say that to be rude, but am familiar with the military.

S

sallysmiles

My husband is stationed in Hawaii, and I have seen the attitude that some Hawaiians have towards the military. Get mental help? I think that is bad advice. In World War II we, as wives and citizens, had to make sacrifices such as grow victory gardens. The servicemen and women and their spouses have made more than enough sacrifices. I know. It is time for everyone to pitch in. This poor lady has extenuating circumstances. A deployment is usually more than 6 months. Hawaii has had problems with retaining nurses. I see why. It is unpatriotic to make this nurse pay back all of that money.

Shay-Pari'e

sallysmiles said:
My husband is stationed in Hawaii, and I have seen the attitude that some Hawaiians have towards the military. Get mental help? I think that is bad advice. In World War II we, as wives and citizens, had to make sacrifices such as grow victory gardens. The servicemen and women and their spouses have made more than enough sacrifices. I know. It is time for everyone to pitch in. This poor lady has extenuating circumstances. A deployment is usually more than 6 months. Hawaii has had problems with retaining nurses. I see why. It is unpatriotic to make this nurse pay back all of that money.
What is your point? Guess what? I was stationed at Hickem, and that is not the point of the post.

She can fulfill the contract, or seek a "Mental Health option", that would clear her of her contract. Do you see any other way? Are you implying she has another option?, because she doesn't, but thank you for your personal opinion, it does not give advice. Further more, this is a quote from the poster who is a NURSE.....

(QUOTE)
So, unfortunately I could not last it out in fear of my own competence on the job and ended my employment 3 weeks short of my notice.(QUOTE).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">