• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

josh_rain

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hi,
I will be working for a firm that hires computer professionals, train them and later sell the trained professionals(consultants) to clients in different states.

The training is unpaid and its free of charge to the consultant.

I wanted to know can there be an employment contract binding the consultant to the recruiting firm during or after training. (because its unpaid, If i were to get another computer related job can i leave ?)

Second, i read about a "no-compete cause" . Does that mean if i am working for a company using windows based technology and i quit voluntary to join another firm using windows based technology cant i join them ??

josh

K

krispenstpeter

When you get the employment contract AND the Non-compete then come back and ask about those specifically. You are asking questions on issues that do not yet exist.

To add onto Krispenstpeter's comment: if you are unfamiliar with contract and legalese involved with it, I HIGHLY -- I mean HIGHLY -- recommend having your own, personal lawyer look over the contract & non-compete. Usually the language used is vague and when something happens, the employee gets screwed or didn't realize...whatever. Horror stories are usually abound by the person out of work.

Have the prospective employer explain things to you. Then tell them you would like YOUR lawyer to review it. Your prospective employer might tell you that they don't accepted "adjusted" contracts/non-competes. In my industry, non-competes are normal, BUT, there is a major company that doesn't accept reworked contracts. Regardless, NEVER "just sign it" -- especially when a non-compete is included. You could be signing yourself into financial ruins IF something unfortunate happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">