• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebear

What is the name of your state? D.C
I signed a contract with a company that I recently left. It states that for twelve months after leaving the company I can not work with 2 miles of this location.

When I signed the contract I did not receive a copy of the one that I signed. When I asked for a copy I received a blank copy. Not the one that I signed. So I'm not even sure if they both say the same thing. The blank copy talks about the twelve months and 2 miles. I not sure what the copy that I signed actually says.

My problem is that the perfect new job is 1 mile away. Can I work there and not have to worry?

Please Help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Probably not. Contrary to popular belief, most non-compete agreement are enforceable unless they are unreasonably broad, such as not working within 100 mile radius for three years. I doubt if two miles for one year will be considered unreasonable.

You will have to show the agreement to a local attorney for a definite answer, however, as the EXACT wording counts.

Beth3

You signed an employment contract that states you cannot work for ANY employer within a 2-mile radius of your current place of business? That's a very odd provision. Usually non-compete type agreements specify that an employee cannot work for a competitor (and sometimes a customer and/or supplier to the company) for a certain amount of time after employment ends.

Since no one here has read the contract (the exact wording matters) and whether the provisions are enforceable are a matter of your State's relevant case law, you're going to have to show the document to a local attorney for an expert opinion.

bluebear

Thank You. I already knew the answer was no. I was just hoping someone would tell me differently. I keep reading over it it's iron clad. But I can't understand why I couldn't get a copy of the one that I signed.

Beth3

Neither cbg nor I have told you the agreement is iron-clad. You need to show the document to a local attorney to find out if that restriction is enforcable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">