• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kentex

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

When I was hired in 2000 my employer had me sign a contract which stated both the company and I would have to provide 90 days notice for termination or quitting. The company did offer me a sign on bonus to quit my previous job without notice to start immediately with them. There was also a non-compete clause in the contract.

I really burned out with my current job and plan on leaving Florida early next year.

I have had no salary adjustment in the 5 years since, nor has the contract been revisited. Do I still have to provide my employer with the 90 day notice?

Beth3

Nobody here can possibly advise you on an employment contract they haven't read. You'll need to show the document to a local attorney.

Zephyr

kentex said:
What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

When I was hired in 2000 my employer had me sign a contract which stated both the company and I would have to provide 90 days notice for termination or quitting. The company did offer me a sign on bonus to quit my previous job without notice to start immediately with them. There was also a non-compete clause in the contract.

I really burned out with my current job and plan on leaving Florida early next year.

I have had no salary adjustment in the 5 years since, nor has the contract been revisited. Do I still have to provide my employer with the 90 day notice?
but if you know you are leaving, why haven't you just given them notice?

kentex

I will let them know. There are just some issues I have to take care of with property here as well as finding a home and new job where I'm moving. My concern is if the contract is even binding without a time limit on the contract and I probably will not be able to give the 90 days. Just wanted to know if it was even legit.

Zephyr

kentex said:
I will let them know. There are just some issues I have to take care of with property here as well as finding a home and new job where I'm moving. My concern is if the contract is even binding without a time limit on the contract and I probably will not be able to give the 90 days. Just wanted to know if it was even legit.

but you can give them notice before you find property or a new job....

kentex

yes, but will probably not be the 90 days. just wanted to know if it could be enforced or if the employer could take legal action.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And the answers to those questions will be found in the EXACT wording of the contract. They are contractual issues, not legal issues. There is nothing inherently illegal about requiring 90 days notice, so whether or not they can enforce it will depend on how the overall contract is worded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">