• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tburgess

I accepted an employment offer that involved a relocation package from to Florida. The package also included a signing bonus and associated employment contract. The contract states that the relocation funds must be returned if I terminate prior to being employed for 24 months. I've been working for the company for 6 moths now and have found that it isn't what it was potrayed to be during my interviews. I need to get out of my contract in order to maintain my sanity and resume my quality of life. Please advise.

HomeGuru

I accepted an employment offer that involved a relocation package from to Florida. The package also included a signing bonus and associated employment contract. The contract states that the relocation funds must be returned if I terminate prior to being employed for 24 months. I've been working for the company for 6 moths now and have found that it isn't what it was potrayed to be during my interviews. I need to get out of my contract in order to maintain my sanity and resume my quality of life. Please advise.
**A: so what is your question? If you have one, it appears you are able to answer it from the information you posted.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
So, you want a legal site to tell you how to violate a contract without penalty? Is that it?

Dandy Don

How much in relocation funds did you receive? I know it's going to hurt to try to pay it back, but everything is open to negotiation. Perhaps your new salary at a different employer will make this expense affordable and you could always ask for more time to make monthly payments to repay what you owe.

Dandy Don

It will NOT be easy for him to repay this if he has already moved--it's not easy to come up with thousands of dollars all at once.

VeronicaLodge

then he shouldn't quit. why should the company pay to move employees who don't work for them?

I know our company will allow employees to sign promissory notes and make payments as it isn't easy for them to come up with the money all at once.

ecmst12

Advice - Contact a contract lawyer in your area and have him review the contract and see if there is any way out. He can also try to negotiate a pro-rated payback instead of the full amount, if the contract states you have to pay it all back.

Or you could just stay the 2 years. It's not that long in the grand scheme of things.

Betty

I agree. It certainly can't hurt to contact an employment or contract attorney & have them review the contract & see what they can do for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">