• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sstxhelp

from sstxhelp
I work in Texas. I have been asked to sign an employment contract for a one year term with a 2nd year option. The only stipulations I see is that I cannot work for a competing company for 90 days from the termination of the contract. I signed the last contract at the company without asking questions. I enjoy the job but it requires an enormous amount of hours. I want to know if I sign the contract but realize halfway through that the hours are just way too demanding for my family life can I get out of the contract at 4, 6 or even 8 months? How? (fyi--I am not worried about getting another job in the same field.) And is there a penalty? (I don't see any kind of penalty mentioned.)

L

lawrat

I think 90 days is fair but you might be able to negotiate out if you do it properly.

Don't burn bridges -- that is the best advice I can give you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">