• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contract - confidentiality and non disclsure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

henrythecat

What is the name of your state? Florida

My former employer that fired me stated in an email that, "under no circumstances...vendor or employee without our express consent. To do so would be a violation of the confidentiality and non disclosure agreements entered with the Company."

My question is how common is it in an employment agreement that I can't speak to former employees and vendors? I moved out here for work and now don't have friends except for those at work.

Also, I don't have a copy of the agreement. Can I ask HR to provide that for me? Do they have to provide it if I ask for it?

thx

Last edited:

Tritium

Employers

I have never heard of an employer stating you cannot talk to employees without their permission, however, they often tell a person in the exit interview, you cannot steal employees to work for whomever you may work for, or personal business.

As for can you get a copy... I know an employer must produce a copy of your file upon request. I think they have a certain number of days to reply. You would want to send the letter registered mail with return receipt. (This proves they received it, and starts the clock.) I believe you are entitled to a copy of any document that contains your signature.

If they don't provide this agreement as they suggested, then they don't have one. I cannot imagine they can actually dictate who you can or cannot talk to. Even if signed, I can't imagine that having a lot of weight.

Good Luck!

henrythecat

Thanks for both your answers. It didn't seem right that I couldn't talk to them. In any case, I"ll ask to see the agreement.

Kenji

Carlos Edge

Degree Accreditation Issue

In the State of Texas

In 2000 I filed out an education application form with my HR department for authorization to attend college. I listed the name of the college and degree with courses that I would pursue. I recieved approval from my company to attend and once I completed my course work I was reimbursed by my company if I recieved an B or better, which I did and was awarded a BS degree in 2001 due a large number of previous courses that I was able to transfer, (over 120) hours from accredited schools. Now several years later it appears that this degree is part of a "Degree Mill". I didn't know this at the time and my employer is now considering letting me go misrepresentation. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

TinkerBelleLuvr

Carlos Edge
In the State of Texas

In 2000 I filed out an education application form with my HR department for authorization to attend college. I listed the name of the college and degree with courses that I would pursue. I recieved approval from my company to attend and once I completed my course work I was reimbursed by my company if I recieved an B or better, which I did and was awarded a BS degree in 2001 due a large number of previous courses that I was able to transfer, (over 120) hours from accredited schools. Now several years later it appears that this degree is part of a "Degree Mill". I didn't know this at the time and my employer is now considering letting me go misrepresentation. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
start your own thread

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">