• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment contract - renewed but never signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suv

In NYC

In Jan 2011 , I signed a work contract stating I would be paid a salary plus a pro-rated bonus which would be paid to me one year from the date of signing the contract or at a pro-rated rate if the employer were to end my employment. (Meaning, if i quit, i wouldn't receive the bonus, but if i got fired, i would receive a pro-rated bonus). In Jan 2012, i was paid my bonus and i renegotiated my contact for a higher salary and bonus under the same terms, BUT this time no contract was signed. My question is: if i get fired, can i still claim the right to a pro-rated bonus, based on the original contract. (the original contract never stated that the contract where to expire one year from signing. it just said that i would be paid my bonus after one year from signing of contract)

thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In NYC

In Jan 2011 , I signed a work contract stating I would be paid a salary plus a pro-rated bonus which would be paid to me one year from the date of signing the contract or at a pro-rated rate if the employer were to end my employment. (Meaning, if i quit, i wouldn't receive the bonus, but if i got fired, i would receive a pro-rated bonus). In Jan 2012, i was paid my bonus and i renegotiated my contact for a higher salary and bonus under the same terms, BUT this time no contract was signed. My question is: if i get fired, can i still claim the right to a pro-rated bonus, based on the original contract. (the original contract never stated that the contract where to expire one year from signing. it just said that i would be paid my bonus after one year from signing of contract)

thanks
Did the contract from January 2011 expire? Was there an end date? If there was no contract signed and no contract in force, you are nothing more than an at will employee which means you have no right to a bonus, severance or anything of that nature.

suv

Thanks for feedback.

the agreement didn't specify end date. it said we entered into agreement on jan 2 2011, i would receive annual salary of $$ plus pro-rated bonus of $$ if employer ended employment. it didn't specific when the contract would expire or end.

would i have a case for seeking that bonus if i quit based on the contract signed in 2011?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for feedback.

the agreement didn't specify end date. it said we entered into agreement on jan 2 2011, i would receive annual salary of $$ plus pro-rated bonus of $$ if employer ended employment. it didn't specific when the contract would expire or end.

would i have a case for seeking that bonus if i quit based on the contract signed in 2011?
Take your contract entered into on January 2, 2011, to an attorney to review. They will be able to give you all the ins and outs and answer your questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">