• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OceanDreamz

I have been employed with the same company for over 10 years with a very liberal employment contract. Today I was handed a new contract to sign that included an Arbitration Agreement. I do not agree with the Arbitration Agreement but have been told that I have to sign the contract. Do I have any rights in refusing to sign the contract based on the Arbitration Agreement? Any help would be appreciated... Thank you for your time.

crager34

interesting

This is a new one for me. I am looking forward to reading the reply from one of the lawyers here. This sounds like an addition to a non-compete agreement. If something goes wrong with you and them, by signing it, are you agreeing to go to an arbitrator first? Without knowing the wording, my thoughts are no big deal, cause you should always have the option of going to court if the arbitraitor doesn't work.

O

OceanDreamz

Re: interesting

crager34 said:
This is a new one for me. I am looking forward to reading the reply from one of the lawyers here. This sounds like an addition to a non-compete agreement. If something goes wrong with you and them, by signing it, are you agreeing to go to an arbitrator first? Without knowing the wording, my thoughts are no big deal, cause you should always have the option of going to court if the arbitraitor doesn't work.

HI and thanks for the response. According to this particular agreement, if I sign, yes I am agreeing to settle any disputes through arbitration and the decision of the arbitrator is final and binding. My main question now is can I be fired for not signing the agreement. I was told that if I chose not to sign the new contract I could look for another job. I have already signed an employment contract that did not include an arbitration agreement. It is my understanding that a new contract is only valid if both parties agree. I agree with your thoughts that I should have the option of going to court, and that is what I am trying to protect. Thanks again for your response...

crager34

I beleive they can....

Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. I hav only had experiences. I try and read the law, as it pretains to whatever is going in my life.

SO, I beleive they can terminate you for this. It is not against the law nor your rights for them to ask this of you. Meaning, it is company policy, which if not agreed to.....you know the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">