• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Eligibility Verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonderingbusine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Can Form # SSA-2458 from the social security adminstration be used instead of a social security card for Employment Eligibility Verification?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Can Form # SSA-2458 from the social security adminstration be used instead of a social security card for Employment Eligibility Verification?
Answer: No

See http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf for form I-9 which has a list of acceptable documents.

mlane58

Besides the I-9, you need a valid SSN card for payroll purposes and you don't neccessarily need one for the I-9.

mlane58

Point being that it's not the card itself...it's the number.
No not point being! You still have to show proof of having the number and how do you do that? have a vaid card! if not employers are not going to accept just you reciting the number.

tranquility

You don't have to show proof of number, you need to prove you have the right to work in the U.S. A certified copy of your birth certificate will work too. (As will any of a number of things on list "C".)

mlane58

You most certainly do for payroll purposes and we already established that you don't need a SSN card for the I-9 if you can show other allowed forms.

pattytx

You most certainly do for payroll purposes
I don't normally find reason to disagree with mlane58, but I have to here. IRS Publication 15 says
Youshould ask your employee to show you his or her social security card. The employee may show the card if it is available.
Nowhere does it state that the employee MUST show the card for payroll purposes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and, the instructions for the Form I-9 clearly state: Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will
accept from an employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">