• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment hire issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BORELLI

What is the name of your state? PENNSYLVANIA

My daughter recently applied for a position at a hospital in the state of New Jersey. After two interviews she received a phone call from the Human Resource department that she had the job. Starting date, salary, sick/vacation leave, holidays, etc. were all explained and agreed upon. She said she was available to work as soon as necessary. It was amicably agreed she would start her new position one week after giving her current employer the customary two week resignation notice. An orientation and employee information packet was to be mailed to her. She gave two weeks notice to her current employer. I should explain that a woman she currently works with who also holds a position with the new employer had told her about the position opening at the site in New Jersey. Five days after handing in her two week resignation (a Friday, early afternoon) she was informed by this co-worker that someone already employed at the new site decided they wanted the job and so the manager/superviser was going to be calling her on Monday to let her know she no longer had the position. Ultimately she now will have neither job, which is as you may expect something she absolutely never expected, wanted, and most importantly can not in any way afford. She needs to work and wants to work. My question of course, is, does she have any legal rights in this situation? Can the NJ hospital legally renege on their verbal agreement? And is she be able to take back her resignation and at least keep her present job? Any feedback , help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance for your time. I look forward to any possible response. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">