• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Inquiries of Criminal Convictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michoacan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
Can a person legally answer "no" to an employers question of "Have you ever been convicted of a felony in the last five years" if the conviction happened 10 years ago but that person was just released from incarceration within the last year for that said conviction?

las365

If the conviction was ten years ago, it wasn't within the last five years.

How does the applicant plan to explain where he or she has been for the last ten years?

leigh123

Yup! But if the OP think that his/her conviction won't show up he/she is an idiot.
So then what is the point of the question being limited to five years if the applicant's background check shows up problems prior to this?

Having been let go from my job (I recently posted) and NOT for misconduct, I am more or less black-listed now as I try to find employment. I pity the poor soul who did something stupid and got convicted for a crime and has it on his/her record now, apparently, forever.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just about every employer is going to ask about a gap in employment.

If the applicant has been in jail for ten years, and the employer asks what he has been doing for those ten years.....

Besides, the law in the OP's state does not limit the employer to asking about five years or less.

Betty

Washington: Employers may consider information about convictions or arrests only to the extent that it relates to specific job qualifications and the date of conviction or release from prison, whichever is more recent, is less than 10 years ago. Law enforcement agencies, state agencies, school districts, businesses, and other organizations that have a direct responsibility for the supervision, care, or treatment of children, mentally ill persons, developmentally disabled persons, or other vulnerable adults are exempt from this rule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">