• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bryans

Em[ployment law

My Fiance works for a company as a Regional Sales Director and has been there 21/2 years. Recently all employees were sent a Employee Handbook and Ethical Business Conduct that the owner wants signed and returned. Both of the these handbooks are full of threats and mentions to purjury underlaw and extensive prison time. Also in it is a 18 month non-compete that was not offered anyone at time of excepting their jobs. Also it states to contact the owner if any government agency contacts you about an investigation. This is just the beginning, states numerous things that refer to holding employees leagally liable. At the end it states if you do not signe it is grounds for dismissal.
There are 4 woan like my Fiance that manage large territories and millons in business and they have been put in the position to signe and be held liable for anything or be fired.
Keep in mind these 4 woamn win numerous awards every year for their outstanding performance.

Can they fire them for not signing this? It was not contingent upon being hired as some of them have been on the job 7 years.

This is a privatly owned business by 2 woamn and does about 50 Mill a year.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Based SOLELY on the information in your post, yes, they can be fired for not signing it.

However, the devil is in the details, and if you want a carved in stone answer, you will have to take a copy of the document in question to an attorney in your state. The exact wording matters and it is possible (not likely but possible) that something in the wording may offer protection.

It is slightly more likely that some or all of the document may be unenforceable. But, while possible, it is VERY unlikely that anything in the document creates job protection.

bryans

Employment Law

Thank you for your input. I have contacted a local Attorney and waiting for a call back.
If they can be fired for not signing, then they are all 4 walking. I just find it hard to believe that you can spring that on employees at any time after starting their jobs. If it would have been presented at time of employment, none would have taken the jobs.

Thanks

Bryan

eerelations

Also it states to contact the owner if any government agency contacts you about an investigation.
I don't understand what your fiancee's problem is with this bit. If I was contacted at work by a government agency about an investigation, I'd be only too happy to pass it on to the owner of my company.

It's certainly not illegal to require her to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">