• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment law in churches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timmey9

What is the name of your state? NY

I was wondering what the legal rights of clergy members are when it comes to firing them. Is their such thing as wrongful termination? Does seperation of church and state take away their legal protections? What is there is a fraud committed or anyhting along those lines? Thanks

Beth3

I was wondering what the legal rights of clergy members are when it comes to firing them. Is their such thing as wrongful termination? Yes.

Does seperation of church and state take away their legal protections? No.

What is there is a fraud committed or anyhting along those lines? You need to explain what sort of fraud you're talking about.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While yes, there is such a thing as wrongful termination in churches, that does NOT mean that a clergy member cannot be fired.

In most churches of my experience, the pastor is under an employment contract. What does the contract say?

S

seniorjudge

I believe you would need to start by figuring out what kind of legal structure you are talking about.

There is a vast difference between a country church as an unincorporated association and the Catholic church.

So, let's start with that.

What kind of church?

What kind of legal structure?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">