• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment pricavy - Fired before hired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ektrippen

employment privacy - Fired before hired

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OHIO

I had a felony years ago, from what I understood it was supposed to be expunged after I did the probation. I was charged with f5 theft (destruction of property) and the breaking and entering (trespassing on a patio) was dismissed as part off the plea deal. It was my first offense, I got royally shafted.

Nov 07 I started working as a 1099 contractor for this company part time, While they were on a hiring freeze. My girlfriends’ father is my direct supervisor and set me up with the job. Then a few months ago, I was approached about interest in joining full time, I said sure and was told it would be a few months until they were able to go forward.

So a week ago the director of my department, right above my gf’s father, said they would like to offer me a job, told me everything. I accepted the position, went to HR and got the packets and took the drug test, and they were waiting on the background check. On the application I checked no because my probation and stuff was over, a year ago.

This morning I received a call from the HR manager, telling me they were retracting there offer for employment, stating I falsified information on my application. Started saying didn’t I know they were going to run a back ground check. I told them yes, then she asked why I checked no on the ‘have you have any felony conviction’ because it was supposed to be taken off my record after probation ended. I told her anything that was in my past was expunged and she said no, you lied on your application. She then told me to call my director and tell him.

I call my director and I tell him what happened, and turns out she had already told him and told my gf’s father.
Nether one knew. Could have just said I couldn't be hired without a reason.

Now I'm having issues at home, and don't have a job or my contract work.

Is this even legal?

Last edited:

ShyCat

Could have just said I couldn't be hired without a reason.
Could have, but didn't have to. Even if they had, your girlfriend's father would have quickly figured out (a) you failed your background check, (b) your references were bad or didn't check out, or (c) you failed your drug test.

Now I'm having issues at home,
Well, that's what happens when you mix your personal life with your business life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">