• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

low_clazz

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was being considered for a job as a security guard at my work (transfer, im in college) and i passed the interviews, lie detector, etc., but they did not pass me due to something with my background investigation. Keep in mind i have never been in any legal trouble, been fired from a job once (and i told them about it), and have nothing to hide! I called the Sgt. who was in charge of the background check and he refused to tell me why i failed the background checks. He said he couldnt give me any detail only that i failed the check!! can they legally hide that information from me? is there not a law that states an applicant can view what past employers state about them?

I am very shocked i didnt pass this! and i am starting to wonder if a past employer from high school flunked me during their questioning! thanks for the help!!

pattytx

If the background check was done by a 3rd party and the results were the sole reason you were not hired, then the company has to tell you that. If they did the check themselves, they do not have to tell you anything.

See Section 615 of the Fair Credit Reporting Act here:
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra.htm#613

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">