• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stodd0313

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Is it illegal for a company to back date my health insurance termination date if I quit. I left my company July 30th and they ended my healthcare coverage the middle of July and have not given me the option for Cobra Insurance.

ecmst12

They have 43 days to send the Cobra paperwork to you. When your insurance terminates depends on how the policy is written and whether premiums are paid ahead or behind. If your last paycheck only paid the premium through the middle of July, then that's when your coverage would terminate. If you enroll in Cobra, it will be retroactive to whenever your coverage terminated.

las365

Generally, under Texas law the employer has to continue an ex-employee's health insurance coverage through the end of the month in which employment terminates. So whether your termination date was July 1 or July 30, your health insurance coverage should not have terminated until July 31.

If your company was not big enough to qualify for COBRA, Texas has a state-mandated continuation option.

Have you contacted the insurance carrier to ask about the termination date and continuation (whether COBRA or state)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">