• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment References

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

legalsec

What is the name of your state? CA

This is complicated, but I'll try to be brief. After 3 years I quit a legal job in 1997 because I was so overworked. My employer wrote me a letter of reference and has always given me a verbal reference as well. About 3 years ago I went back to work for him for about 5 months, but things didn't work out. After that he started telling potential employers about my disability even though I had told him it was against the law to do that. My disability is not obvious. After I discovered this I wrote him reiterating he could not divulge information about my medical disabilitiy to potential employers. He denied doing it but I had the hard evidence. Since then he has begun to avoid talking with potential employers, basically sabotaging my ability to get a job. Knowing him, I am sure it is deliberate. He is an important reference to establish my abilities and work history. Do I have any recourse?

Also, what recourse do I have with regard to him illegally providing medical information about me and what is the statute of limitations?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Against his refusing to give a reference at all? No. He cannot be legally compelled to give you a reference if he chooses not to.

L

legalsec

Next Question

Thank you. What recourse do I have with regard to him illegally providing medical information about me and what is the statute of limitations in California? Is this under ADA, ERISA, etc.?

L

legalsec

Thank you. What recourse do I have with regard to him illegally providing medical information about me and what is the statute of limitations in California? Is this under ADA, ERISA, etc.?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">