• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment Termination Legal Recourse Question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerRider

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I was fired because another employee told my supervisor he “might have felt threatened” by things I said to him. Do I have any legal recourse?

Background: I had been on medication for depression for about the last six months of my position in a large company. A co-worker had been coming in to my general cubicle area and making disparaging sexual remarks. This led to emotional interference for my getting my job done due to mental anxiety.

I have an outburst within a couple of days at which point a co-worker says “Did you forget to take your medication today?”

I confront this co-worker asking him in general “what his problem was” I was extremely upset over this due to the fact that I was on medication and this in itself for extremely traumatic for me.

Someone who overheard must have reported this to my supervisor, who proceeded to question this employee. The co-worker was led by my supervisor to indicate that he felt somewhat threatened by my behavior. Shortly thereafter I was shown the door.

Do I have a case? If so, why and how should I proceed (other than find and attorney to represent me)?

Thank you.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, you don't. Being on medication or being upset does not give you the right to blow up at your co-workers with no repercussions.

EVEN IF your condition qualifies under the ADA, which has not yet been established, the ADA does not require your employer to accept behavior in you that they would not accept in a non-disabled employee.

If a co-worker felt threatened by your behavior, no amount of "medical" reasoning on your part prohibits the employer from taking action against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">