• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment verification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JANEX

I recently passed a three-month probationary period at my new job. 2 weeks later, the personnel department called me about a discrepancy in my employment verification. They said my file had been open for over 90 days and they needed to close it soon, but they couldn't because of the discrepancy. The time period I provided is wrong, and the employer gave them the actual dates I was there. Can I be fired for this, and if so, would I be able to collect unemployment benefits?

B

buddy2bear

"Lying on an employment application" is something employers use to get rid of people. If the different dates are not too out-of-line, try telling them you made a mistake on the dates because you were so excited about possibly coming to work for them that you just put down the wrong dates because you couldn't remember the exact ones at the time you filled out the application. If the dates were on your resume, tell them you obviously must have made a typo - same reason, excitement about coming to work for them and you had a lot on your mind.

However, if your dates are off by a lot, well, they might fire you for dishonesty. It's the "little" things that usually do a person in. Good luck!

B

buddy2bear

P.S. The employer would tell unemployment that you were fired for lying on your employment application, which is misconduct. Whether it is "gross misconduct," is questionable and you should apply for unemployment anyway because all they can do is say "no" or give a penalty period before you can collect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">