• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Employment verification information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phil11502003

What is the name of your state? CA

Prospective employers normally call previous employers to verify dates of employment.

I suspect that a supervisor with a "vindictive nature" from my last job is fabricating malicious and derogatory statements about me and telling these lies to those who call in for employment verification information. I believe this is having a negative effect on jobs I have applied for recently.

1. What can I do to prevent this from happening?
2. What info can a potential employer ask when checking with previous employers?

I have a letter of recommendation and an excellent yearly review signed by the very person who is bad-mouthing me.

Please help with advice. Thank you very much.

JETX

"What can I do to prevent this from happening?"
*** First, you need to determine IF it is happening, by who and what is being said.

"What info can a potential employer ask when checking with previous employers?"
*** A potential employer can ask anything that they want. And your former employer can provide ANY information that they want, as long as the information is accurate or is the providers 'honest' opinion.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Caveat: The employer may not provide any medical information they may have on file. I believe that in most if not all states, this also includes workers comp info.

Other than that, I agree with Jetx.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Former employees may assert defamation claims against a former employer based on false statements by the employer at the time of termination, or during a pretermination investigation, ** or in adverse postemployment references.**

Such statements may be shown to have damaged the former employee's reputation, making re-employment difficult, if not impossible.

Employers usually seek to limit their liability regarding future job references for former employees. The employer may have a policy for all former employees that the employer will provide only employment verification, dates, positions held and, if authorized in writing by the former employee, the salary at the time of separation.

There are employment verification services that will call your former employer, as if they are a potential employer of you, in an attempt to find out and document all adverse statements the former employer is making about you, a former employee.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">