• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

employment at will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

matt82356

After 4 years with an NJ commercial bank, I was let go last Monday. In my severance interview, I was told that my firing was not due to performance but that my employment was on an "at will" basis. Subsequently, I found out that the CFO told the staff that my dismissal was based on his performance evaluations. I reviewed my employment file and all reviews in file were exemplary. There had been no performance reviews during Yr. 2001 nor any warning relating to my severance. The company did provide me with 8 weeks severance and COBRA continuence. I have 21 days to agree to the severance agreement. What recourse do I have? I've heard that the "at will" contract has been successfully challenged!

L

loku

Most people are employees at will and have no employment contracts or union contracts that protect them. That means that a boss can fire them at will for any legal reason other than discrimination on the basis of such things such as race, color, creed, etc. or no reason at all. If there is an employment contract, or a union, that's different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">