• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Enforcability of Non-Compete When Moving from MA to CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cparkerson

I am taking a job with a company in CA and have been threatened by my current company in MA with the non-compete contract I signed. Now, I'm aware that CA does not enforce them, but since I signed the contract in MA, what changes? I'm not really worried about it's enforcability as it is a very broad, boilerplate contract and the MA company has not made any public announcement or registration that it is in the market of the company I'm going to, but, any info on the potential enforcability of the contract would be helpful.

K

kenyoon

You should seek the advice of competant employment counsel as soon as possible. The general procedure at this time, is that when an out of state employee comes to California in violation of a valid non compete entered into out of state, the first party to a courtroom determines the law to apply.

In California, non compete agreements in the employment context are unenforceable. In Massachusetts, they probably are enforceable. So depending on which court gets the case first, California or Massachusetts, the noncompete will be subject to differing laws. Obviously as the employee, you want to be in a California court.

That being said, depending on your value at the past and present company, it may not be worth the money for your former employer to enforce the covenant.

DISCLAIMER

By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication, on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">