• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equipment Malfunction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TracesOfFear

What is the name of your state?
South Carolina

My roommate gets a call this morning from her job. They tell her that she is being let go based on yesterday's performance (which she was the ONLY person to work late after the "supervisor" asked EVERYONE). She was also informed that they let 5 other people go today because of yesterday.

She gets off the phone and tells me that the phones and computers were messing up at her work so calls would be dropped for no reason. Also, they fill out "guest cards" for each caller and that is sent to the apartment complex that they are calling about. The computers were freezing on most of the computers at her work all day so that the guest cards could not be filled out. I know that personality has nothing to do with law but keep in mind she is a damn good worker and very polite and patient on the phone.

The computers completely shut down on Friday for 10-15 minutes. They are having serious issues with their phone system to where they needed to get new lines and new phone numbers.

So, because of the bad equipment she, and 5 other people, were let go today. She is not responsible for how her equipment behaves. That is the employers equipment or she would take it home.

Is there anything that she can do besides beg for her job back?

Beth3

Sorry, no. While it may be very unfair to terminate employees because of equipment malfunctions beyond their control, it is not illegal.

Your roommate should apply for unemployment benefits right away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">