• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Erroneous Background Report - Denied Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Native Texan

What is the name of your state? Texas

Throughout the years I've had a number of hiccups - dumb mistakes - such as driving off with a gas nozzle still in my tank, a check that bounced while I was away from home for 4 or 5 months, and over 30 years ago a misdemeanor charge for possession of a controlled substance, etc, dumb stuff, no axe murderer or anything like that. As we all know, in the post 9/11 world we live in more employers than ever before are conducting criminal background checks. I know my previous record had cost me some jobs over the past few years so last year I hired an attorney and had my record cleaned up. All but two items were expunged, and one of those was placed under non-disclosure. The only thing a private employer should be able to find on my record is the 30 year old misdemeanor possession charge.

Yesterday I was applying for a job at a staffing agency. While I was completing the clerical tests they ran an online background check on me. They utilize a third party vendor that falls under the category of a Credit Reporting Agency under the FTC regulations. During the personal interview I was informed that the report still includes all of my bumps and bruises; it's as if I had never done anything to have my record cleared. :eek:

I requested a copy of the report from the interviewer, and the contact information for the third party provider. I know I am entitled to that information under the law. She refused to give me any of the information, but said she would have her manager call me at home later to discuss it further with me. I waited at home for the call that never came, and finally just before closing called to speak with the manager. She told me she was not required to provide me with anything. I told her the information being reported was erroneous and that I can provide evidence that it is incorrect and have the report corrected. She told me that correcting the report was irrelevant to her, that she would still considered me disqualified for employment even with a corrected report because she had already seen the derogatory information on the report. She still refused to provide me with a copy of the report or the contact information for the third party CRA. :mad:

Until that point I was only interested in obtaining the contact information for the CRA to have the reporting corrected, and was not interested in pursuing any action against the company or further pursing employment with the company. Her arrogant attitude and ignorance of the law quickly changed my mind.

Unknown to the interviewer or manager, while sitting on the opposite side of the desk during the initial interview I was able to read the name of the CRA providing the report. While waiting for the manager to call me at home I did my own research and located the company through an internet search. I telephoned the company and spoke with a gentleman who eventually asked me what information on the report was incorrect. :rolleyes: Naturally, I was unable to tell him specifics because I had been refused a copy of the report, and informed him of that. He had already acknowledge the company was one of his clients, and immediately agreed that the manager is required to provide a copy of the report to me. I was not able to make any head way with him on making corrections because he insisted that he pays to download criminal background information from numerous and assorted government agencies all over the nation, and that he was only reporting the information provided to him by those agencies. :(

Unfortunately for him, I had already pulled my background in the county and through Department of Public Safety online services that very day when I got home. The state and county are not reporting the expunged and non-disclosure information, confirming that he is providing erroneous information. ;) He offered me no remedy to have his erroneous reporting corrected.

I'm sure he called his client after my conversation with him. She called soon after I hung up from talking with him. She told me she would provide a copy of the report to me for a fee of $25, which is what the report cost her. I told her again that I am entitled to a copy of the report and the reporting agency at no cost, and that I was supposed to be provided with that information prior to her taking any adverse actions like disqualifying me for employment. She still refused to release the information without collecting the fee.

I called the gentleman back at the CRA and told him about her illegal fee collection. He must have called her again because she called me back again a few minutes later and told me I could pick up a copy of the report without any charge, but stated that I would have to sign a release to obtain it.

I went to the compay office this morning to retrieve the copy of the report that I should have been given yesterday before her adverse actions and decisions. Indeed I was required to sign some sort of typed on the fly release and was given the report, but none of the contact information for the CRA and none of the documentation required under FTC regulations regarding my rights.

Needless to say, I'm as mad as a wet hen over this. :mad::mad: :mad:My primary interest is in getting the erroneous reporting corrected, of course. However, I'm also of the opinion these arrogant people need to be taught a harsh lesson on their own misconduct. I read on the FTC web site that employers who have violated the provisions requiring them to provide me with the report and contact information are liable for both civil and criminal penalties. It would do my heart good to deliver to the arrogant manager a criminal record of her own. And it sure wouldn't hurt my feeling for both the company and the CRA to pay monetary damages to me.

I filed complaint with the FTC online, but know they do not take action on individual cases but only look for patterns. I thought about filing a complaint with the EEOC, but to the best of my knowledge this does not fall under any of the strict categories of discrimination which they handle. I don't even know how I can force the CRA to make corrections to his incorrect reporting.

How do pursue this? I really hate to let these people get off the hook!!!
:confused:What is the name of your state?

JETX

SNORE!!!

Sorry, fell asleep reading your post.....

ErinMuffins

If you still have the misdemeanor possession charge, then all of this doesn't really matter in the end because they could still choose not to employ you.

Frankly, based on your post, you come off as a bit arrogant, which is funny considering how many silly "mistakes" you admit to having made in life. The last thing a temp agency needs on their hands is an arrogant guy who makes stupid mistakes.

In the end, you got the report. My opinion would be to eat some humble pie and try to find a new job.

Good Luck!

CO19

I agree that CRA's and employers who fail to adhere to federal law need to be sued in cases where there are too many blatant violations to ignore. Two lawsuits immediately come to mind - the CRA and the Employer.

1. CRA - "he insisted that he pays to download criminal background information from numerous and assorted government agencies all over the nation, and that he was only reporting the information provided to him by those agencies." What he basically admitted to using is what we term in the industry as a "National or Nationwide Criminal Check" - dossier criminal database that contains STORED DATA and utilized by many CRA's in the screening process. His federal violation occurred by utilizing the results from this w/o either first verifying the accuracy of the information or contemporaneous notification - only two options, per the FCRA. Here's an FTC opinion letter with applicable codes: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/allan.shtm
b. State Law - Providing employer sealed or private records. In addition, TX law prohibits the release of convictions beyond 7yrs unless applicant earns/expected to earn 75K or more. CH 20 20.05

2. Employer - Multiple Violations!
a. Failed to provide you a Pre-Adverse Action Notice, Summary of Your Rights, and complete background report.
b. Failed to allow you an opportunity to dispute the report before making an adverse hiring decision.
c. Attempting to charge you for releasing what is required under federal law that they provide.

If I spent more time dissecting this, I'm sure there are more. You seem versed in your rights, as you should. I absolutely would be hiring a employment labor law attorney and commence a civil lawsuit and file with the FTC... only way these idiots learn to be compliant! The firm I would use is Littler Mendelson - employment experts...they have 2 locations in TX www.littler.com.

Relevant Reading:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/credempl.pdf
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/infopro.shtm
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/2summary.shtm
http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_law/The-Fair-Credit-Reporting-Act.jsp
http://www.eeoc.gov/foia/letters/2005/titlevii_arrest_conviction_records.html

You paid your dues, played by the rules, and you were screwed... now go get them!

Last edited:

Native Texan

If you still have the misdemeanor possession charge, then all of this doesn't really matter in the end because they could still choose not to employ you.
So, according to you, because I violated a law more than 30 years ago at the ripe old age of 17, it's OK for this employer and the CRA to violate laws today.
And just don't worry about someone reporting a criminal record that doesn't even exist.
Yeah.
That makes sense.
I guess our legislators just wasted a whole bunch of time and taxpayer money writing laws that regulate fraudulent consumer reporting.

But I notice you are not receptive to the idea of paying a bunch of taxes you don't owe because some crack pot tax collector thinks you lived somewhere you never lived.

Frankly, based on your post, you come off as a bit arrogant, which is funny considering how many silly "mistakes" you admit to having made in life. The last thing a temp agency needs on their hands is an arrogant guy who makes stupid mistakes.
Yeah, shame on me for being an idiot teenager. And even though a court of law has seen fit to **completely expunge** the stupid mistakes of youth, some dufus who runs a crappy consumer reporting company can over rule a court of law and continue reporting what the courts have ordered removed. But I'm arrogant because I happen to believe the court rulings should be honored and enforced.

In the end, you got the report. My opinion would be to eat some humble pie and try to find a new job.
Oh, the job hunt continues. Today I interviewed for a job that is conducting an FBI background check. Safety sensitive, security clearance, bonding, all that jazz. Requirements for qualification is no felonies, ever, and nothing over 10 years old is even considered. I'm confident I will be hired for the position because I know what the FBI is reporting on me. I just qualified for a concealed handgun license and have purchased two hand guns over the past 3 months. So I'm qualified to walk around armed to the teeth and get a security clearance through the federal government, but am not qualified to drive a typewriter for minimum wage through a cheesy temp agency that thinks nothing of violating laws on a regular basis.

Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Good luck, yourself.
How about you just pay all those back taxes and forget about trying to argue with the nice tax collector?

Native Texan

Thank you for the reference and links!

I agree that CRA's and employers who fail to adhere to federal law need to be sued in cases where there are too many blatant violations to ignore. Two lawsuits immediately come to mind - the CRA and the Employer. !
That's what I was thinking: two lawsuits. Parsing what I read of the regulations at the FTC web site the employer might even qualify for criminal charges in addition to civil suits.

1. CRA - "he insisted that he pays to download criminal background information from numerous and assorted government agencies all over the nation, and that he was only reporting the information provided to him by those agencies." What he basically admitted to using is what we term in the industry as a "National or Nationwide Criminal Check" - dossier criminal database that contains STORED DATA and utilized by many CRA's in the screening process. His federal violation occurred by utilizing the results from this w/o either first verifying the accuracy of the information or contemporaneous notification - only two options, per the FCRA. Here's an FTC opinion letter with applicable codes: http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcra/allan.shtm![/QUOTE]

Kewl! Thank you for the link. I knew he had to be using outdated information, and he did mention the national criminal checks that he uses. He was complaining about the costs associated with getting access to the information, so I assumed he was trying to get by on the cheap by not keeping his information updated and current. Apparently this guy hasn't updated his files in at least a year or longer. It makes you wonder what else he is missing, like maybe conducting a background check for a child care agency that has a recently convicted pedophile applying for employment or something.

b. State Law - Providing employer sealed or private records. In addition, TX law prohibits the release of convictions beyond 7yrs unless applicant earns/expected to earn 75K or more. CH 20 20.05!
AHHHH!!! More good info!!!! I did not know that about Texas laws, although I did know there might be some specific state laws addressing the issue other than the federal laws that apply. So, essentially, the 30 year old charge could not be held against me on the minimum wage job I was talking to the temp agency about. That's good to know if it ever comes up as an issue again!

2. Employer - Multiple Violations!
a. Failed to provide you a Pre-Adverse Action Notice, Summary of Your Rights, and complete background report.
b. Failed to allow you an opportunity to dispute the report before making an adverse hiring decision.
c. Attempting to charge you for releasing what is required under federal law that they provide.!
And you know, when I was talking to the manager, I kept trying to tell her exactly those things. I really didn't have an axe to grind with her and didn't care that much about the job they had to offer, until she kept insisting she had no obligations under the law. All I was interested in was obtaining the report and getting the information corrected. But her arrogance and ignorance of the laws inspired me to include her in the actions I intend to pursue. Doing my home work again, I found out through the BBB that she is not just a manager, she is a Vice President, part owner. In my never humble opinion a business owner of an employment service really should know and follow the federal employment laws. Here's hoping the education she could have obtained for free will now cost her dearly, courtesy of your's truly.

If I spent more time dissecting this, I'm sure there are more. You seem versed in your rights, as you should. I absolutely would be hiring a employment labor law attorney and commence a civil lawsuit and file with the FTC... only way these idiots learn to be compliant! The firm I would use is Littler Mendelson - employment experts...they have 2 locations in TX www.littler.com. !
I will contact them first thing in the morning! They have a local office so that's icing on the cake for me.

Relevant Reading:
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/credempl.pdf
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/infopro.shtm
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/2summary.shtm
http://www.credit.com/credit_information/credit_law/The-Fair-Credit-Reporting-Act.jsp
http://www.eeoc.gov/foia/letters/2005/titlevii_arrest_conviction_records.html

You paid your dues, played by the rules, and you were screwed... now go get them!
Thank you again! I have paid my dues, repeatedly. And I do play by the rules, or at least try to. I didn't deliberately drive off with the gas nozzle still in my tank. But it resulted in a criminal mischief charge against me that was dismissed, but still reported, and employers don't take the time to actually read and interpret the reports they order. Similar with the hot check charge: I was gone from home for about 4 months, driving a truck over the road, so there was no way I could have had my mail forwarded to me or anything. When I got home I had a stack of notices about the check bouncing, but by the time I got the notices it had already been turned over to the DA for prosecution, resulting in the charge of theft by check - which was also dismissed after I talked to the DA, gave him my log books and took care of the check, but still reported on background checks. Stupid stuff. Pre- 9/11 it never was a huge problem for me, so I didn't worry about spending the thousands to get my record cleaned up. But post 9/11 employers have gotten down right anal about background checks. And I don't disagree with that. I'm glad they are, taking all into consideration. But by the same token, businesses are required to comply with laws and use ethical business practices, no less than I am, and should be penalized for violations.

I appreciate your referral to the employment law firm. I will give them a call first thing in the morning. I really had no intention of taking it that far when this first started, but I'm really aggravated with the way the CRA and the employer have handled the whole situation.

And meanwhile, maybe I'll get that good job I interviewed for today that is conducting an FBI background check. Kind of ludicrous - I know I'm going to qualify for a security clearance at a government installation, but am not qualified for part-time job driving a typewriter at a temp agency!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">