• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ethical question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kweenofrocknrol

What is the name of your state? Mass. My previous employer told my current employer that I was fired recently. My current job's supervisor works for my former employer (part-time) as well. Did they have the right to do that??

What if I didn't want my current employer to know I was fired from my part-time job??

Beth3

My previous employer told my current employer that I was fired recently. My current job's supervisor works for my former employer (part-time) as well. Did they have the right to do that?? Yes.

What if I didn't want my current employer to know I was fired from my part-time job?? That's not something you have any control over.

Kweenofrocknrol

??

I thought that if someone called for a reference they're not even allowed to talk about certain things. Like if they would re-hire me. And I thought they couldn't even ask why I was fired.

Beth3

A lot of people are under that impression and it is completely incorrect. Your employer can share any information about you that they wish to as long as it is factually correct and/or represents their honest opinion. The only exception would be any medical information they have on you that was obtained through their health insurance plan.

If your former employer wanted to post the reason you were fired on a billboard, they may.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">