• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ethics of leaving a job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newtoworkforce

I am in New York.

I am a recent college grad, and just began my job search. I interviewed at a company, and was hired quickly, and started immediately. The problem is that I do not like my job too much- I interviewed not expected to get the job, nor expecting to accept it. I know it's not really a legal question, but how much time should pass before it would not look bad to resign my position? Thanks for your time.

C

CheeseBlotto

Don't like your job? There's a support group for that. It's called everybody and they meet at the bar.

I'd stick out the job until I found another one that advances you career in some manner.

Beth3

Look bad to who? Your present employer or prospective employers?

Leaving one job voluntarily not long after you accepted it isn't going to be the kiss of death as it relates to your future employment prospects. An individual just out of college accepting the "wrong" job is easily understood and explained in an interview. Having a string of jobs with short tenure in each would prove to be problematic however.

What I do suggest however is that you don't just resign from this job. Start a job search and resign your current position when you accept a new one - which you need to make sure is one you think you can stick with for a while. If you just walk away from this job (without having accepted another), as an interviewer I would question your ability to stick with something and to ride out the tough times and challenges that even the best jobs have at times. Leaving FOR another job that's a better fit is a different matter than just leaving a job.

Good luck.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's really no one answer to that, and any answer is going to be opinion only. Different employers look at things different ways. But there are always ways to spin things, so answer a couple questions for me. What is the job you're in (industry, general type of job) and how long have you been in it?

With that, we can give you at least a general guess of how it might be viewed.

newtoworkforce

The job is in the architectural/engineering field, and I just got the job yesterday during the interview, and I begin tomorrow. The reason I ask is because this job isn't directly in the field(s) I'd like to work in. Things moved quickly during the interview, and I was basically assumed I accepted the offer- the talks just went to 'OK, we want to start you ASAP'. It's not that I don't want the job, nor do I plan to leave before finding another job, but I plan to continue my job search for something related to my field of major. Someone I know got me the interview (she's actually who I'll be reporting to), and I don't want to make her look bad by acting unprofessionally or unethically.

HomeGuru

newtoworkforce said:
The job is in the architectural/engineering field, and I just got the job yesterday during the interview, and I begin tomorrow. The reason I ask is because this job isn't directly in the field(s) I'd like to work in. Things moved quickly during the interview, and I was basically assumed I accepted the offer- the talks just went to 'OK, we want to start you ASAP'. It's not that I don't want the job, nor do I plan to leave before finding another job, but I plan to continue my job search for something related to my field of major. Someone I know got me the interview (she's actually who I'll be reporting to), and I don't want to make her look bad by acting unprofessionally or unethically.
**A: oh brother.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you've not even begun the job, and you're already starting to look elsewhere, you'd probably be better off by calling them now and saying you've changed your mind, than you would starting and quitting three months later. Seriously, if you never start the job you won't have to list it on a resume and you will never have to list them as an employer.

Your decision will not reflect on your friend.

Beth3

You haven't even started yet? From your original post I assumed you were three or four months into it. Call your prospective boss and tell her that after thinking it over, you have decided to decline the offer because you really want to find something in your career field. Be sure to thank her for the confidence she demonstrated in you and say that you don't feel it would be right to accept the position given that your professional interests are in another field.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">