• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this even legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bustass592

What is the name of your state?Arkansas
My wife was fired from her job of 5years today. She called in to work sick on tuesday. She couldn't get in to see our Family Doctor. They didn't have anything open until freakin today. And she's required to bring a doctor's note back to work with her. So I took an old doctor's note she had from awhile ago and copied it and changed the dates. It was just a copy too, and it came from our Family Doctor. Even the doctor's signiture was just a copy too. It looked identical to the real one. Well she goes in to work yesturday and gives it to her boss.(no big deal right) For some reason her boss calls the dr.'s office to verify whether or not she was even seen by the doctor on that day. And they told her she wasn't.
I mean isn't that like some doctor patient confidentiality or something. The doctor didn't even know where she worked to begin with. And they gave out information over the phone, to which it could have been anybody on the end of that phone. Ya know Any advice would be greatly appieciated.
Thank You.
excuse my spelling

Katy W.

Why didn't she just call the doctor, since she was calling anyway, and ask for a note saying that she was ill and would be seen today? It would be a lot less trouble than forging a note!

Having said that, actually, it is illegal for a doctor's office to say whether a patient was there or not. The following is from the CFR:

A health care provider shall not disclose information that is individually identifiable information.

Individually identifiable health information is information that is a subset of health information, including demographic information collected from an individual, and:

(1) Is created or received by a health care provider, health plan, employer, or health care clearinghouse; and

(2) Relates to the past, present, or future physical or mental health or condition of an individual; the provision of health care to an individual; or the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to an individual; and

(i) That identifies the individual; or

(ii) With respect to which there is a reasonable basis to believe the information can be used to identify the individual.

No, you do not have enough a case to sue the doctor's office, because your wife is at fault for lying, giving her boss the forged note, and marrying and/or listening to you. Please refer to Cheeseblotto's answer.

Last edited:

bustass592

didn't think it was that big of deal. how could that be forgeing? the only thing that was hand written on either of them was the dates. Other than different dates they were identical. the regular copy paper.

peeps! i know not the smartest thing in the world thats for sure. But here's the thing. They really have done her wrong. This is a pretty laid back ass company. Mostly women. She was there for about four and half years. She's busted her ass there, and got paid less than anybody that worked there. She has taken alot **** from these people in past. Stuff she could of taken legal action for and didn't because she like her job. For example: about a year ago there was this new guy that started working there. he from the start was a total sleeze ball. well not to long after he started. Allways saying things and making jestures. really made her uncomfortable. Til one day she couldn't take it anymore. She goes to the owner. That day dude gets fired for sexual harrassment. But get this THEY HIRE HIM BACK ABOUT 7 OR 8 MONTHS AGO. whats up with that.

but anyway i dont know why i'm telling you guys. but thinks for the info

pattytx

I don't know why you're telling us about that stuff either. It has nothing to do with the fact that your wife presented a altered doctor's note that did not pertain to the most recent absence. That's forgery and fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">