• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-employee rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

solmanic

Illinois

I work for a company where I sometimes am needed to take some HR calls. I remember in an industrial psychology (wisconsin) the professor saying something about how everyone over states whats legal and illegal to say to potential employers requesting information about previous employees.

My question is, what is legal to give and what is illegal? If an employee was fired due to not being able to perform the job he was hired for, I would hope that I would be able to tell that to anyone I wanted as long as I had documented the facts.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal to give any information that is true, or that the employer honestly believes to be true and supportable.

It is illegal to give any information that is false; it is illegal to give any information maliciously or negligently (without caring if it is true or false); it is illegal to give any medical information that you might have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">