• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex-employer info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pgdmidaho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho-Washington

When applying for a new job, what can my ex-employer say about me leaving the job? Can they say I am re-hireable or can they say I was terminated (and why)? I worked in Idaho, but my employer was based in Washington(state)

pgdmidaho

pgdmidaho

Are these the laws in WA/Idaho? In Texas they CAN NOT say if you left or were fired. ONLY unrehireable or rehireable.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are mistaken. There is NO state where an employer is limited to rehire status.

In all 50 states, the employer may give whatever information they choose as long as it is true, they sincerely believe it to be true, or it represents their honest and supportable opinion.

In all 50 states, the employer may say that you were terminated and why.

It is a myth that employers are limited in that way. A widely believed myth, but a myth just the same.

If you disagree, by all means post a link to the law that says so.

pgdmidaho

another question

Is there a "statute of limitations" on whether you can file a wrongful discharge suit. I feel I was wrongly terminated due to a hostile work environment. Upon my termination I was so upset I just left. There were previous meetings with HR substitute regarding my office atmosphere.

mlane58

To meet the definition of hostile work environment, the employee must be able to show that s/he is being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII (race, religion, national origin, age etc.). It has nothing to do with the atmosphere of your workplace, no matter how unpleasant it may be.

pgdmidaho

My supervisor treated me unfairly because she didn't like me. The sub-HR (senior VP) agreed with me and told her to stop. She terminated me when the senior VP was out of the country and couldn't be reached.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is not a wrongful discharge; nor is it a hostile work environment.

Google, employment at will.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, if everyone in the company feels you should be there except for the 1 fired person, why aren't you back at work?

pgdmidaho

Also the said supervisor was fired for cause a few months later. The company has listed me as "rehireable" but I don't know if they are telling possible employers that I was fired to begin with.

mlane58

Also the said supervisor was fired for cause a few months later. The company has listed me as "rehireable" but I don't know if they are telling possible employers that I was fired to begin with.
YO---LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your employer didn't violate the law, you have no case

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, then why not go get rehired? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

pgdmidaho

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">