• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Employer provided unnecessary info to potential employer - I didn't get job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

becca83

What is the name of your state? TEXAS
--> I notified my employer in April of 2004 that I would be leaving and submitted a 2 week notice. I was a good employee and they let me know that frequently. They didn't want me to leave so they offered me better hours and a (small) raise to stay on part-time. After a few days I notified them that it just wasn't going to work out and I could only handle school full-time. While they couldn't argue with me wanting to finish school, they seemed bitter. It turns out they were. I have graduated now and a potential employer let me know that when he checked my references my former boss (a 75 year old lady) told him that while yes, I was eligible for rehire, she wouldn't hire me because I didn't give enough notice. I gave a 2 weeks notice. What more can they expect? He told me that employers are only allowed to answer if I am eligible for rehire or not and when did I work there. He said that she was not supposed to go on and on about why she wouldn't actually rehire me. (Maybe it's because I didn't keep in touch with her - who knows) Did she break any type of law? I don't want to sue them or anything, but is there anything that I can do. I wound up not getting that job or another job and I was perfectly qualified for both. I have a good feeling that this is why. What can I do? She needs to know this is wrong. Even when I interviewed with her she asked me all about my religion and where I go to church. I should have known that they were not very ethical. :rolleyes:

Please help! :confused: Thanks!
PS - I think I'm going to take her off of my resume.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
He told me that employers are only allowed to answer if I am eligible for rehire or not

"He", whoever he is, is wrong. Nothing whatsoever in the law places that restriction on employers.

A former employer may legally provide any information they choose, excepting only any medical information they may have on you, as long as what they say is true or represents their honest opinion. If it is her opinion that you did not give enough notice, she is legally allowed to say so. No, she broke no laws.

The one who needs to be careful is the prospective employer. While I'm not where I can lay my hand on my check list to see if yours is one of them or not, in some states the law specifically prohibits you being given information about a prior employer's references.

rmet4nzkx

By all means, if she is a reference you may choose another for your resume, however you should still show this employment as leaving it off an application could be seen as falsification and grounds for dismissal.

Be up front about what happened, IOW: PT left to attend College FT (2wk notice given) Is it possible that with the person's advanced age and the fact that they made a counter offer that she may have been confussed with the timing? Do you have any record of either the notice or the counter offer? If so you might want to contact her to clarify. Many qualified persons don't get the first job for which they apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">