• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-employer wants me to sign a "release from claims".

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

XTMT

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida - company in Georgia

I had worked at home for a national medical transcription company based out of Georgia. After working with this company for 3 years without a raise (after multiple "policy changes" regarding raises after my hire) I found out that new hires with less experience and less skill were starting out at a much higher compensation rate than I had been working with for 3 years. I quit this company about a month ago and just received a letter from the former company that included a release they wanted me to sign. I was really surprised by this and i asked some other former employees of this company if they had received this release, and some had.

It came with a letter regarding information pertaining to COBRA for medical insurance, final paycheck, 401K, and returning company equipment. Then almost as a P.S., there was a page 2 that said:

"Based upon the above, you hereby release, for yourself and all people who may act on your behalf, (name of company), and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, employees, and agents from all claims or causes of action, arising from or relating to your employment with (name of company), including, but not limited to, any such claims or causes of action arising under any Federal or State law, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1965 and 1991 or the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, as amended."

I don't see how this could be "based on what is above" or even related to the information that was above in the letter. Now that I found out someone else has received this letter I'm wondering if other people have as well. I plan on returning the equipment, but am I going to end up in a legal bind if I don't sign the release or is this just their way of covering corporate butt? Am I going to have to pay for a lawyer to look this over or can I just ignore it without signing it?

BelizeBreeze

send back the equipment and any other company-owned items, including the addendum unsigned with a note saying "no thanks" .

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The type of release you describe is quite common. I wouldn't take it personally - most companies in my experience send those out whenever an employee is termed.

You are not required to sign it if you don't want to. You might want to review it carefully to see whether or not any severance pay is dependent on your signature.

If you are concerned about the agreement, you might want to show it to a local attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">