• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exceeding job description

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ConnyNR5

What is the name of your state? Ohio

At my job "production workers" operate machinery and "job setters" set up and adjust machinery for different parts. My shift is only a few years old and until about a month ago didn't have a "job setter". I am a "production worker" at a lower pay scale, but had been acting as a "job setter". When they finally decided they needed someone on the shift just as a "job setter" they immediately offered me the job then turned around and hired someone off the street. After training someone else to make 30% more than me I was still the one constantly called on to perform the job. I told my supervisor it wasn't fair that the person paid and trained for the job was not being directed by his department to do the job. She agreed and told the plant manager that the new guy needs to do it or I need to be paid for it. He told her that instead of asking me to do it from now on to tell me to do it and if at any point I refuse it will be concidered insubordination and possibly subject to termination. If in a company someone is constantly called upon to perform a job function that they have defined as a higher paid position can they impose penalties for expecting someone of a lower payscale to perform the job when nobody else of the same lower title is allowed to perform the higher job?

BelizeBreeze

ConnyNR5 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

At my job "production workers" operate machinery and "job setters" set up and adjust machinery for different parts. My shift is only a few years old and until about a month ago didn't have a "job setter". I am a "production worker" at a lower pay scale, but had been acting as a "job setter". When they finally decided they needed someone on the shift just as a "job setter" they immediately offered me the job then turned around and hired someone off the street. After training someone else to make 30% more than me I was still the one constantly called on to perform the job. I told my supervisor it wasn't fair that the person paid and trained for the job was not being directed by his department to do the job. She agreed and told the plant manager that the new guy needs to do it or I need to be paid for it. He told her that instead of asking me to do it from now on to tell me to do it and if at any point I refuse it will be concidered insubordination and possibly subject to termination. If in a company someone is constantly called upon to perform a job function that they have defined as a higher paid position can they impose penalties for expecting someone of a lower payscale to perform the job when nobody else of the same lower title is allowed to perform the higher job?
Regardless of your 'title' you are an employee. You can be fired for not coming to work, not performing the work required of you and even for the boil on the boss's butt ....

Beth3

If in a company someone is constantly called upon to perform a job function that they have defined as a higher paid position can they impose penalties for expecting someone of a lower payscale to perform the job when nobody else of the same lower title is allowed to perform the higher job? Yes. It may not be fair but it's legal.

If you don't feel you're being paid fairly for your responsibilities, then your recourse is to find a new job elsewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">