• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

excessive absaenteeism

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pgh8959

excessive absenteeism

What is the name of your state? Virginia

What is considered excessive absenteeism? I am a manager for a small company and I have a couple of employees I would like to put on notice for excessive absenteeism. This is not a diciplimary action. Its only a memo stating that they have missed X number of days and they need to make sure that they come to work. The memo also states that any future call outs the person must have acceptabe documentation for the absence. The employees are part of a collective bargaining agreement. However the contract is mute on the subject of absenteeism. When I informed our H/R department, I was told that if someone calls off sick there is nothing I can do because of ADA and FMLA. Is this imformation correct? If not, could someone let me know of any guidelines for diciplinary actions relating to excessive absenteeism. I would appreciate any information on this subject Thank you

Last edited:

JETX

"What is considered excessive absenteeism?"
*** Whatever the employer says is excessive.

Beth3

"When I informed our H/R department, I was told that if someone calls off sick there is nothing I can do because of ADA and FMLA. Is this imformation correct?" That is not remotely correct and if that is what your HR department is telling their managers, they don't know s*** from shinola. (And I say that as an HR professional myself.)

The requirements of the FMLA and ADA are far too lengthy to go into here but there is ample information available on both on the internet and grasping the basics of each is reasonably simple. I suggest you do a little research and when you find some good basic information, for God's sake print it out and give it to your HR representative. Sheesh.

As to what constitutes excessive absenteeism, that is entirely up to the employer to decide. Since your company appears to have no guidelines, you may establish your own. Then discuss that with your boss to make sure you have his/her support before proceeding with your employees who are frequently absent. I also suggest you bring your boss in the loop on the basics of the FMLA and ADA and inform him what the HR staff is saying. Sounds like you folks need to hire someone in HR who knows what they're talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">