• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

excused abscence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fleihr

What is the name of your state? Michigan

At my job which is a union factory we have a point system for attendance, and you receive 3 points for everday missed work, however in our contract it states you will not receive points for an excused abscence, but in their eyes the only excused abscence is if you take a vacation day for the day you miss, but you have to put in at least 2 days in advance for a vacation day request. So my problem is this at this job I do a strenous job and found my groin area to be in pain I went to the doctor and this was on a thursday and the doctorr told me not to go in to work friday, however when I called my job to inform them I would not be coming in to work they said I would get 3 points for not coming in even though the doctor stated for me not to, so my question is can they actually give me point towards my dismissal even though I was prescribed by a doctor not to go to work that day?

pattytx

Your union contract is the controlling document in this situation. Have you talked to your union rep?

Beth3

so my question is can they actually give me point towards my dismissal even though I was prescribed by a doctor not to go to work that day? A doctor's note is not a "get out of jail free" card. If your CBA requires two days advance notice in order for an absence to be excused, then that's the way it is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">