• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt employee question....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlauriec

I live in Colorado. If my employer has paid me overtime in the past, can I still be considered an exempt employee? I am salaried, I was paid overtime for working at one conference, but not paid OT for working at 2 others, and was docked pay for taking a day off when I was out of vacation time.

Thank you.

J

jlauriec

Sorry about the double post. thought it was a problem with my pc...

turns out the site is just very slow.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Overtime is permitted for exempt employees, but not required. Doing it once does not require doing it always. And while there are very few reasons when an employer may dock an exempt employee's pay, taking a day off for personal reasons when he is out of vacation time is one of them. Nothing illegal has transpired.

J

jlauriec

Thank you for your respone...

I thought I had read somewhere that when an employer pays it's employees overtime it considered them an hourly employee and negated the "exempt" status. Thank you for your answer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That can be the case, depending on circumstances, but it is not an across the board definition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">