• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exempt or non-exempt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigd77

What is the name of your state?nevada

When I was hired for my current job my compensation was listed at $3500 a month. I would receive paid holidays after 90 days and would accure 5 days vacation a year. I have never filled out a time sheet and have never been asked to. When i received my bimonthly paycheck it would show $1750 with no hours or incremental wages listed. When i received my paycheck after a holiday my check would be deducted 8 hours and a wage was placed to those hours. I am a salesman that spends 90% time in field.
I have a few questions
1. Am I an exempt employee? do I need to list more info to determine status?
2.If exempt, should holiday hours be deducted from check.?
3. Since not listed in employee handbook(one page long) does vacation accrue from day one?
4. If i have worked there 9 months am I elegible for 3/4 of my vacation if no stipulations written in handbook? ie(90 day probation)

I am asking these question because i received only " i am not sure" fro our HR agent. When I asked if i should contact the owners about my questions she said it was not in my best interests to due so. She gave my an example where a saleman sent a note to owners about commissions due and was fired the next week.

thank you for your time

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1. Yes. That is, yes, you need to provide more information. Your job duties, and ONLY your job duties, determine whether you can be legally classified as exempt or not.

2. Probably not.

3. No. Company policy determines that, regardless of whether it is in the handbook or not. See answer below.

4. That depends ENTIRELY on company policy. Neither Federal or state law (in ANY state) requires an employer to provide vacation time at all; nor does any state require an employer to accrue vacation time in any particular way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">