• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exempt or Salary confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rykesgm

What is the name of your state? Arizona
My son in law worked until today at fast food chain as a manager. He was a salary employee. He was docked for anything under 40 hours but never paid overtime. Is that correct? He was fired because he chose to attend his college graduation, great boss...huh.

seniorjudge

rykesgm said:
My son in law worked until today at fast food chain as a manager. He was a salary employee. He was docked for anything under 40 hours but never paid overtime. Is that correct? He was fired because he chose to attend his college graduation, great boss...huh.
Yes, if you miss work, you get fired.

HomeGuru

rykesgm said:

**A: yes, that is correct if it was true.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Was he docked dollars in his paycheck, or was paid leave (vacation, sick time) substituted?

It is not illegal to fire him because he chose to return to school, but there may be a pay issue here.

Last edited:

Beth3

He was a salary employee. He was docked for anything under 40 hours but never paid overtime. Is that correct? Maybe. If your son was absent for a partial day, was he docked for the hours that he missed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">