• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Exposing a firm risks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhistleBlowing

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I hope I'm proper doing this....this post may not be in the right place.

The basic situation is I'm in a gap job at an airport while looking for a professional position. This firm shares revenue with the airport - decided advantage over it's two competitors. I can make a long list of issues that are clearly questionable about their customer service and treatment of their employees and reveal it to their competitor and the airport board of directors (who periodically extend this firm's contract to do business there.) I don't plan to do this until leaving this gap job and working again in a white collar job. My question is what risks am I exposing myself to legally and practically? Inclined to start out anonymous, but what are the risks of identifying myself? Obviously I burn my bridges with that firm, but what else might happen?

Willing to elaborate more as I feel confident it's safe to do so.

Thank you

justalayman

tortious interference with a business relationship comes to mind. You could risk much more than burning a bridge should that be a reality.

Unless you have something going on that is illegal, you might want to stay out of the tattle tale business. I don't see anything in your suggestions of impropriety that are in themselves anything that is any of your business and nothing suggesting they are illegal.

WhistleBlowing

Part of what they do is parking customer cars at the airport. Workers often speed both in and out of the garage...some have wondered why someone has not been injured yet...cars have been badly damaged to the point of being undrivable, maybe totaled. Damage to cars while in storage has been covered up. It happens often enough many customers would think twice before doing business with them.

Don't know if this additional info changes things, but that's just a sample.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What's to stop a future employer from assuming that if you'll divulge business about one employee to their competitor, you'll do the same thing to them?

commentator

Forget doing this, OP. No one cares. It is NOT your job, and it is not the same as being a whistleblower exposing illegal actions by a governmental agency. There is no protection for you from being fired, and they very likely are aware of the problems, and DO NOT want to hear about them from you. I cannot tell you how many people I have seen fired for their trouble when they try to report things like this. Back away, do your job, do your best, and detach.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Part of what they do is parking customer cars at the airport. Workers often speed both in and out of the garage...some have wondered why someone has not been injured yet...cars have been badly damaged to the point of being undrivable, maybe totaled. Damage to cars while in storage has been covered up. It happens often enough many customers would think twice before doing business with them.

Don't know if this additional info changes things, but that's just a sample.
:eek:
Are you saying that valet drivers aren't giving their utmost to ensure that the vehicles in their care are driven in a calm and respectful manner???

I would never have imagined this could occur in the valet world.

WhistleBlowing

Are you saying that valet drivers aren't giving their utmost to ensure that the vehicles in their care are driven in a calm and respectful manner???
Yes

Racing cars between garages, then sometimes doing 20 or more inside, occasionally leaving doors unlocked and having the lot number wrong it's parked in. One valet was stealing loose change and other items. No everybody does this, but it's just too frequent and act like they are dealing with burgers - not vehicles that could cost $150,000. My list has just started.

My inclination is to contact anonymously after I leave that firm on my own terms.

Zigner

Yes

Racing cars between garages, then sometimes doing 20 or more inside, occasionally leaving doors unlocked and having the lot number wrong it's parked in. One valet was stealing loose change and other items. No everybody does this, but it's just too frequent and act like they are dealing with burgers - not vehicles that could cost $150,000. My list has just started.

My inclination is to contact anonymously after I leave that firm on my own terms.
This doesn't happen to be one of the employees, does it?

http://tinyurl.com/oo5qjrd

Eekamouse

OP, you sound like a little kid who wants to tell on his friends because they made him mad. I suggest you take your ball and just head on home. No need to tattle to the other parents.

commentator

I notice this OP called himself/herself "whistleblower" when as I said before, this is NOT the case, and for this type of whistle blowing, there are no protections against being fired, etc.

If I were disturbed about the situation, I would take it to the next level up, which is the immediate supervisor. Always take problems in the workplace to the lowest level possible for solution first. In other words, tell these guys to knock it off yourself. Then, if they get worse, or this does no good, speak to your immediate supervisor. If there's no resolution there, I cannot say it enough, do your own job, keep your own mouth shut, and be ready to move on. Anonymous "tips" called in after you've left won't help, probably won't be acted on, and in most cases, you'll never find out what happened anyhow.

WhistleBlowing

OP, you sound like a little kid who wants to tell on his friends because they made him mad. I suggest you take your ball and just head on home. No need to tattle to the other parents.
Do you think condescending replies like this work?

I tried to carefully describe the situation and likely should have done a better job. Part of the problem is I don't want to expose myself, so I did not give much detail. It's not like me to consider such actions...maybe this is a situation meriting reporting...people there do think there are significant issues.

I obviously need to ask this question elsewhere. OK if it's the same answer, but better put than quoted post.

Zigner

I tried to carefully describe the situation and likely should have done a better job. Part of the problem is I don't want to expose myself, so I did not give much detail. It's not like me to consider such actions...maybe this is a situation meriting reporting...people there do think there are significant issues.

I obviously need to ask this question elsewhere. OK if it's the same answer, but better put than quoted post.
I think I speak for us all when I say that we also prefer you not expose yourself.

Silverplum

Feel free, puddin'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">