• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunged record in CA, Looking for work in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

powder21

My current state is Arizona.

I was charged with a felony in California (in 2002) which I plead down to three misdemeanor counts. I later had this conviction expunged. It was a misdemeanor conviction that did NOT result in prison time (some jail time, probation, and fines). I have read the following regarding this issue:

"If you were convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony and were not sentenced to state prison or under the authority of the California Department of Corrections you can petition for a dismissal. This means you were given county jail time, probation, a fine, or a combination of those three. If you are petitioning for a dismissal, the court upon proper motion, may withdraw your guilty or nolo contendere (no contest) plea, or verdict of guilt if you went to trial, and enter a not guilty plea. Then the court will set aside and dismiss the conviction. From that point forward, you are considered no longer convicted of the offense. Your record will be changed to show a dismissal rather than a conviction."

I now live in Arizona. If I search the online database for the county of San Bernardino, it shows the disposition as "Not Guilty, Dismissed" for each misdemeanor count. There is no felony charge that shows up. Based on all of this, I have determined that I do not need to answer yes if I've ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor. However, I am worried of what employers might find during a background check and I am also unaware of what might be required of me by Arizona law. Please help. Thank you.

swalsh411

It sounds like you can truthfully answer no. Your employer could still fire you if they found out just like they could fire you for almost any reason they wanted to. There is no law that says you must answer truthfully by the way.

CdwJava

Under what code section were you given your expungement? Was it PC 1203.4? Or, something else?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">