• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drjay

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'll try to summarize a possibly long story. I quit my job on Monday without notice. Worked there for 2+ years but had an argument with the president we couldn't see past. My final check was deposited that day but on Wednesday the check was reversed and taken out of my account. I called him to ask why and he said if I come in and train my replacement he'll give it back. Whoa whoa, I'm not under ANY legal obligation to train the new employee. I offered to give him the passwords and show him the work I did the prevous 2 weeks (as he additionally requested) but I *will not* show the new guy how to do the job. I know that's "rude" of me, but legally I don't have to.

More to the point, I'm being told by many people this is extortion. Is that right? Also, Georgia is apparently one that I can only recoup court costs if I can prove he did it willfully (or something around that), would this be one of those?

Thanks!

eerelations

Unless you signed a contract stating you would, you are not legally required to ptovide notice of your leaving a job.

And again, unless you gave your boss written permission to do so, he is not legally allowed to withhold your pay.

Make a claim with your state department of labor for your pay. You won't have to ask for court costs because there won't be any court costs.

Note - you ARE legally required to give your boss access to your computer and any other company property.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In GA, where the wage and hour laws are very weak, he might be better served by filing a complaint in small claims court.

pattytx

In GA, where the wage and hour laws are very weak, he might be better served by filing a complaint in small claims court.
Or filing with the federal DOL. But small claims would probably be faster, and the claim amount can include filing costs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">