• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facebook

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meant2teach

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I have been recently hired to teach at a Christian School in VA. I have worked for another Christian School previously. I was offered the position on Monday. I attended teacher training on Tues and Wed. Yesterday afternoon someone called the school and spoke with the Administrator. She was told anonymously that my Christian character was in question and that she needed to look at my Facebook page. It was at 8:30 that morning that a friend of mine had asked me at what school I had gotten the job, I responded and she posted back "Congrats". That is the only time the name of the school was mentioned on Facebook. The phone called was made shortly after lunch. I was brought into the office and told of the call and asked to pull up my Facebook account. I did. The offense in question are 4 pictures uploaded by my husband of me in my bikini. I am posing "sexy" but not vulgar. They were simple and for my husband while we were at the beach on vacation 2 years ago. I have been a Christian school teacher a long time and I do understand posting them was not good judgment but now the Board of Directors has to consider if I am still a acceptable role model for the parents, children, and staff. I could loose the position over this. I agree stupid...but fired? How about forgiven? I have already deleted the pictures. I should hear from them today on what the Chairman of the Board has decided.

pattytx

If you're asking if the school can fire/refuse to go forward with your employment because of something that appeared on Facebook, yes, they legally may.

Alex23

I keep seeing all these statements on the news about how jobs will check your facebook page and to be careful about what you post. I thought they were just joking.

las365

I keep seeing all these statements on the news about how jobs will check your facebook page and to be careful about what you post. I thought they were just joking.
No, it is not a joke at all. And people are incredibly stupid about what they publish in a media that is accessible to the world. We had an employee who had "friended" her supervisor, so when the employee posted comments complaining about having to work, the supervisor got a notification of the new comment! Needless to say, we relieved her of her obligation. Permanently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">